SIR Keir Starmer has taken charge of a Labour outfit that “silences” women, a shadow Cabinet Minister has warned.
Lisa Nandy launched a blistering attack on the party – as a 150-page dossier warned that another 58 seats could be lost on top of Boris Johnson’s 80-seat majority.
The attack was made by the Shadow Foreign Secretary at an event last month just weeks into the reign of the new leadership.
She said: “Too often the experience of women in the Labour Party in the north of England is that they get a position and they go onto the council and then their voices are silenced.”
She continued: “I am sick of sitting on panels, Labour panels, with more people called John than there are women.”
The revelation comes after the dossier on the disastrous election revealed it was the result of support fracturing over the past two decades.
Nandy also claimed the party is being run by a small cabal of mostly males from the capital who foist their policies on their constituents.
It could be seen as hitting out at Sir Keir Starmer whose constituency is in the heart of the city.
She said: “We’ve got to be present in our communities and we have shrunk as a movement, into a small handful of people, largely men, dare I say it, in London, central London.
“Not even most of London, but central London, who commission focus groups and polling, who go out and sell a message to the rest of the country.
Most read in Politics
PM to announce shaggy-haired Brits can get haircuts from July 4
Gyms, leisure centres and five-a-side games could return from start of July
Overnight stays with family and friends 'within weeks' as lockdown eases
Labour boss Keir Starmer slammed for long silence on re-opening of schools
Boris against Swing Low, Sweet Chariot ban as 'no one knows the words'
MIND THE GAP
Boris hints 2 metre rule on brink of being SCRAPPED saying 'watch this space'
“We don’t listen to people where we are in power, we don’t listen to our candidates in other parts of the country.
“When we talk about devolution, nobody believes us because they can see we haven’t done that ourselves as a Labour movement.”
Nandy was one of five candidates who put herself forward to lead the party following Jeremy Corbyn’s decision to stand down after December’s election.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]