Fast food fans have been waiting impatiently for some of their favourite meals to come back during the lockdown, with chains including McDonald’s being forced to close temporarily. However, the takeaway stores are now open again for deliveries, drive-thrus and collections. In its latest update the company revealed the return of a long-awaited part of its menu.
McDonald’s customers have been missing their Maccies breakfasts as the chain has been offering only a very limited menu since reopening last month.
However, in an email to its customers the company confirmed that the much-loved morning menu is coming back – but with a few changes.
Much like the main food menu, McDonald’s is slimming down its choices in order to help staff cope, as there are fewer people working in the kitchens at a time.
The chain has been making huge changes in its kitchens and cafes to make sure that the risk of spreading the coronavirus is reduced.
READ MORE: McDonald’s reopens branches for walk-ins with new rules
Paul Pomroy, chief executive officer for McDonald’s UK and Ireland, said in an email to customers: “A month ago, we reopened 15 restaurants for McDelivery only as we began our return to business.
“I am so grateful to our employees, franchisees and partners for working together as we’ve carefully scaled up our operations and returned to communities across the UK and Ireland.”
However, while it’s good news for many as the McMuffin will finally be available again, not everything is coming back.
“As with our main menu, we will have a limited menu at breakfast but we’ve kept the classics – hash browns, McMuffins and pancakes all return.
“Unfortunately, whilst adhering to social distancing guidelines, we are unable to serve porridge, bagels and our Breakfast Wrap. “This is because we have fewer people in the kitchen.”
KFC reopens 16 stores for customers to pick takeaways up – full list [NEWS]M&S cafes reopen 47 more branches for takeaway – full list [COMMENT]Morrisons Café opening takeaway across 402 UK supermarkets [INSIGHT]
The move is earlier than planned, as this month the company tweeted about the return of the breakfasts and suggested it might not happen until July: “From 24th June, a number of restaurants will test the return of breakfast service,” they tweeted.
“If successful, we hope to reintroduce the much-missed McMuffin across the UK and Ireland later in July. We will confirm which restaurants nearer the time.”
The company has been slowly reopening around the country, with around 1,000 stores now back up and running.
Customers can order for home delivery via Uber Eats and Just Eat, or go to a drive-thru – and some sites are offering takeaway.
This week the chain reopened 11 of its Roadchef service station locations for walk-in customers, and the trial has led the company to make plans to roll out the service elsewhere.
The Mirror reported that McDonald’s will be reopening 200 restaurants to walk-in customers from Wednesday next week.
It means those who can’t order via the apps or a drive-thru will now be able to go and pick up their orders in person.
“Today we have over 1,000 restaurants open for Drive Thru or McDelivery, and next Wednesday we will open the front doors in more than 200 additional restaurants for the first time, for take away,” the CEO confirmed in a statement.
However, it’s not yet known which stores will be open for takeaway – or which 42 locations will be offering breakfasts.
The burger chain boss said that the best way to stay in the know was to download the app for the latest updates.
“We will share more information about the breakfast pilot and takeaway restaurants on Wednesday morning via our website, app and social media,” he said.
Opening hours also vary between different restaurants, and a £25 cap on all orders is still in place.